Looking to move abroad soon? Living and working overseas as an English teacher will be challenging. One thing you can always count on: we will provide you with honest and upfront information so that you can make well-informed decisions. Find below the advantages and disadvantages of teaching abroad (specifically in China and Korea):
- East Asia is currently recognized as one of the best places to teach abroad internationally
- Have a job set up before you leave home
- Great Salary, Low Cost of Living… save a lot of money, pay off loans, etc!
- Free (or discounted) housing provided with contract (utilities excluded)
- Renewal bonus or severance pay upon completion of contract
- Paid vacation days
- Korea: 50% Medical insurance and Pension
- An extensive public transportation system (Subway / Bus / Train / Flight)
- Travel opportunities: It’s cheap and easy to visit other Asian countries!
- An opportunity to absorb a new culture, meet new people, and continue writing a great story
- Life is easy! A cliché, yet so true.
Additional Information: Why teach abroad
- You may be the only foreigner at your school
- You will experience culture shock for the first few months
- You have to sign at least a one year contract
- Students are cute, but they are just normal kids… you’ll want to pull out your hair at times…
- East Asian philosophies of education are very different than they are in the Western world
- You will get stared at. Relentlessly.
- Pressure from parents – they want their kids to learn English!
Additional Information: Let’s be Frank
Feel free to send us an email for more detailed answers at [email protected]